Friday, April 26, 2013

The Pink Moon

So I kept hearing about this "Pink Moon" and wondered to myself... what exactly is that? As I was driving home I saw the big beautiful moon, and while having to pull over to stop and look at its beauty, I did notice it wasn't exactly pink. So this morning I looked online to see what made it "pink". Evidently it was just the first full moon of Spring, and gets its name from pink flowers that are the first flowers of Spring.

“This name came from the herb moss pink, or wild ground phlox, which is one of the earliest widespread flowers of the spring,” writes the Farmers’ Almanac.

Even though the moon is still yellow, i decided to try to take a few shots of it. I will post a few below. I couldn't quite figure out how to keep the glow from around the moon from showing up in the pictures. And I should have had a better zoom, but sometimes you have to adapt to what you have on hand.

This one above was taken with a long exposure on a tripod.
 
The picture above was taken at my shortest exposure with a tripod.

This one I cheated... I took this before the moon went down the next morning and it was hand held :)

No comments:

Post a Comment